Here are the occasional reflections of a joyful traveller along the strange pathways of fantasy and adventure. All my reviews are independent and unsolicited. I read many books that I don’t feel sufficiently enthusiastic about to review at all. Rather, this blog is intended as a celebration of the more interesting books I stumble across on my meandering reading journey, and of the important, life-affirming experiences they offer. It is but a very small thank you for the wonderful gifts their writers give.

Sunday 26 June 2022

Barrington Stoke novellas to satisfy and reward any reader

The long and the short of it

For me, short stories, or even novellas, do not generally make for anywhere near as satisfying a read as a good novel. Sometimes even writers I greatly admire do not seem to quite hit the mark with these shorter formats. But there are exceptions.

Reading and reviewing Katya Balen’s lovely Birdsong, reminded me of several other Barrington Stoke novellas that not only fulfil that publisher’s important mission of making appropriately aged books accessible to less secure or confident readers, but also provided me with a read that was hugely satisfying and rewarding.

It doesn't always work, but sometimes the need to write straightforward narrative relatively simply results in a potent distillation. Thoughts and feelings are expressed through powerfully concise language. This certainly applies to these titles, each in their own, distinct way. I enjoyed them greatly. There are times and circumstances when a shorter read will fit many children’s needs well and I warmly recommend these stories for any reader.

    
    

And perhaps for a slightly older audience (although individual interest is always more important than actual age when it comes to book selection):

  
    

And then there is the best of the best (if there is anyone out there hasn’t discovered it yet), AnthonyMcGowan’s deservedly award winning Lark (together with the rest of the quartet to which it belongs):

  

Length notwithstanding, Lark is one of the very finest works of contemporary literature for young readers, deserving of classic status alongside Barry Hines’ Kes, and as good as the best of the wonderful David Almond (and in my book that’s really saying something).