Here are the occasional reflections of a joyful traveller along the strange pathways of fantasy and adventure. All my reviews are independent and unsolicited. I read many books that I don’t feel sufficiently enthusiastic about to review at all. Rather, this blog is intended as a celebration of the more interesting books I stumble across on my meandering reading journey, and of the important, life-affirming experiences they offer. It is but a very small thank you for the wonderful gifts their writers give.

Monday 26 May 2014

Jewels - an explanation

 

A couple of friends who have read my blog, whilst being very encouraging (of course - what are friends for?), have noted that all the 'reviews' so far are very glowing. They even implied that they were looking forward to reading ones where I really slated stuff. I am afraid they will have a long wait for that.

It has never been my intention that this should be a review blog as such. My quest is to find what, for me, are really high quality works of children's fantasy from this century and I am simply recording the real jewels I come across. Of course I have already read a good few books that, shall we say, did not excite me much. I shall not be writing about them though. I have been around too long now to want to spend my time puting down other people and their efforts. Anyway my paste may well be someone else's gem. This blog is merely a record of what, for me, are exciting finds; great books or at least almost great ones, fine writers or potentially fine ones. As you can see there have already been a good few - enough to leave me optimistic of many more to come. So if particular books or sequences are not on here it does not necessarily mean that I have 'rejected' them. It could well be that I just haven't got to them yet. It is, after all, early days - I'm delighted to say.

I want this blog to be a celebration of some of the wonderful things people write for us and of the so important, life-affirming experiences they give us as a result. It is but a very small thank you for a wonderful gift.