Here are the occasional reflections of a joyful traveller along the strange pathways of fantasy and adventure. All my reviews are independent and unsolicited. I read many books that I don’t feel sufficiently enthusiastic about to review at all. Rather, this blog is intended as a celebration of the more interesting books I stumble across on my meandering reading journey, and of the important, life-affirming experiences they offer. It is but a very small thank you for the wonderful gifts their writers give.

Wednesday 29 June 2016

Yet more good things to come

 

I am greatly looking forward to more of the new titles to be published later this year.

Towards the end of the summer the final part of Kate A Boorman's wonderful YA Winterkill trilogy is due out. The first two volumes of this 'alternative history' have combined touching romance with gripping intrigue in some outstanding storytelling, so the final part promises to be really special. I hope to write up my full review of the first two books (Winterkill and Darkthaw) very soon.

Even earlier I will eagerly be reading The Wildings from Nilanjan Roy, a tale of feral cats in Dheli. Most promising. And if this one lives up to expectations it seems there is a sequel (The Hundred Names of Darkness) to follow fairly hot on its heels. 

Then in the autumn we will have new books from three writers I admire enormously, as well as a debut which sounds well worth watching out for.

Piers Torday is the author of the hugely enjoyable, and successful, The Last Wild trilogy. His new book promises to be a stunning addition this year's children's books.

Marcus Sedgewick is one of the very greatest of our contemporary writers for young adults, so little needs to be said about Saint Death except: don't miss it 

Another book for older readers, Laurence Anholt's The Hypnotist looks like it will be a landmark work on a most important theme, and Lucy Strange's debut could well be a charmer for younger readers.

Which will make my books of the year I wonder?  I already have some strong contenders on my metaphorical  top shelf (see earlier posts) but I wouldn't be surprised to find some of this little group joining them.